Full Steam Ahead to Dublin

Details

Location

Belfast, Belfast City Centre, Boyne Viaduct, Co. Dublin, County Louth, Drogheda, Dublin, Dunmurry, Grand Opera House, Great Victoria Street, Lisburn, Lurgan, Portadown, Whiterath, York Street

Year

1966

Source

Digitised as part of Unlocking Film Heritage

Format

Standard 8mm

colour

Length

11min 24sec

Silent

silent

Courtesy

A.H. Martin, British Film Institute

Rights Holder

A.H. Martin

It is illegal to download, copy, print or otherwise utilise in any other form this material, without written consent from the copyright holder.

Description

Take a stroll through a forgotten Belfast on your way to catch the steam train to Dublin. Experience the city centre before it is reshaped by violence and regeneration.

This film allows the viewer to return to 1966. Green UTA buses jostle for position with electric trolleybuses led by their antenna. Travel up York St past the Conor Hall. Look up from the altered shops and Belfast is still recognisable. Turn into a radically changed Great Victoria St, only the Grand Opera House remains. Board a steam train and speed across the border to Dublin. Familiar landmarks flit by until the Boyne viaduct signals this journey is near an end.

The boy featured is Peter Martin, son of the filmmaker A.H. Martin.
 

Notes

Introduced in 1947 the Enterprise connected Belfast and Dublin with a non-stop service. The last 'official' steam train travelled between the two capital cities on 29th October 1966. In this same year UTA split into three state-owned companies. The Belfast trolleybus system was the second largest in the UK and the only one in Ireland, ending two years after this film. Built on the site of a former linen mill in 1848, Great Victoria Street was Belfast’s first railway terminus. Two years after this film it was demolished and the Europa Hotel took its place. In April 1976 the final rails were removed. There would be no railway services from here for nearly 20 years, until the present station opened in 1995.

Credits

Filmed by A.H. Martin.

Digitised as part of the BFI's Unlocking Film Heritage project.

Links